Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Home Again!

Well, I've offically been home for a couple weeks. I have been working since May 21 but more about that later! I slowly unpacked, watch way too much tv, and then read like I was picking up a new habit. In actuality, I like summer for several reasons. Choosing what I can read, for leasure is a plus of the summer for me. So far I'm completed the following: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, The Secret of the Old Clock (a little juvenile but I enjoy suspence and an easy read isn't a bad thing), and I finally finished Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of Christianity. I have completed: The Hidden Staircase, several other Nancy Drew novels and Paula Deen: It Ain't All About the Cookin'! I do have various interests if you can't tell. I think I really enjoy reading because I love stories. True or fictional.

Well, to put straight any rumors that may be going around, I participated in graduation but did not receive my degree yet. I have a semester of student teaching to complete and then I can finally get my degree. After all the work I put in, I feel that I am prepared to student teach. Now if I passed my last two Praxis exams, I'm rolling! However, if not I will have an opportunity to re-take them this summer:( I'm hoping to not have to do that.
I love my job and the people I currently work for. I am working for my home-town corps...Salvation Army for you non-army readers. My role will mainly be in the programming department. I will be coordinating activities for the summer lunch program. It's open to all kids 0-18 but I'm thinking the activities are going to be directed towards younger children 12 and under. I already have ideas swirling in my head of things I can do with the kids and ways to encourage them to invite friends, come back, etc. I will also be responsible for the VBS program. My mom will also be running a VBS at her church this summer! There are several perks to this job: I get to work with awesome officers (and I'm not just saying this...I mean it! I am sad to them go and hope that I will get along with the newbies), the hours are decent, I get to experience another aspect of SA ministry, my leadership skills will increase, I get to be creative, and I'll get to meet some new kids! Those are my main responsibilities but I do know there will be some other things added to the list. I will hopefully have an opportunity to preach at least once this summer and maybe dance a couple of times too! My first opportunity to preach will be this Sunday. I am anticipating the day, whatever the Lord will bring or say!

I'm looking forward to this summer. It's the first summer in a while that I haven't gone off to somewhere new. I expect that the Lord is going to not only use me but teach me. I want to expand in dance and my prayer life...but I also want to learn how to listen. I'm very good at talking to God...it's the intentional listening that I'm bad at. Sometimes I talk so much I don't pause to listen, to truly listen. It's one thing to follow what someone is saying. It's a complete other to listen to what is being said or not verbalized. I also have a goal to lose weight this summer. I mean it...I am going to eat better and actually exercise. Truth be told I like working out once it becomes an established habit. It's keeping at it to get it to become a habit. I tried one morning of a dance salsa workout DVD. It wasn't bad. And I wasn't tempted to laugh unlike when I've tried Richard Simmons. I'm going to swim this summer as well. This is more promising, I think :) I have an accountability thing worked out as well. So we'll see where this goes.
I think that's about it for me.
Questions: Do you have any summer goals? Have you read any good books lately?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home